2023 BSF Convention Exhibit
The exhibit submission has ended
We have made some changes to the Convention Exhibit in the form of new awards. The following is a list of all awards to be handed out:
Best Large Tree – 24″ and higher
Best Medium Tree – 12″ to 24″
Best Small Tree – 8″ to 12″
Best Shohin – Below 8″
Best in Show – Chosen from the Best Large, Medium, Small, and Shohin
The Mary Madison Native Tree Award
If you’d like to submit trees for the 2023 Bonsai Societies of Florida Convention Exhibit, here is your chance. We have about 35-40 spots, depending on the size of trees (or shohin displays). Read the rules below, take pictures and complete submission via email (email@example.com) no later than 11:59 p.m. on April 16. The committee will review all submissions, choosing trees based on size, species, style, movement, and, most important, quality. You’ll be notified of our decision no later than April 30. We likely won’t have enough room for all entries, but we’re hoping for a quality representation from across the state. The email should include size (H x W xD), movement left or right and species (and if you’d like it considered for the Native award)
- You must be a member of a BSF-affiliated club, a BSF-affiliated study group, or an at-large BSF member. Please check with your club to make sure it has filed a roster and paid dues to BSF.
- Multiple submissions are acceptable.
- Please don’t submit a tree that has been shown at the BSF Convention exhibit in the past three years.
- All entries, including a color photo and specs, must be submitted via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by no later than 11:59 p.m. April 16.
- Use an appropriate backdrop when taking a quality picture of your tree.
- The committee will review submissions and base its decision primarily on quality, while also balancing different sizes, styles, species, and movement of trees.
- If accepted, no substitutions are allowed without the exhibit chairs’ approval. If your approved trees aren’t in “show condition” in the weeks leading up to the convention, contact the exhibit chairs as soon as possible at email@example.com .
- The chairs may designate trees that have been submitted but not accepted for display as standby trees. If an accepted tree is withdrawn, the chairs may choose to use one of the standby trees or one of the trees that were submitted but not accepted, or they may not replace the tree; all decisions will be in the best interest of the exhibit.
- If accepted, you must deliver the tree, stand, and complementary item to the exhibit site at the Florida Hotel between 1-7 p.m. Thursday, May 25. Items may be picked up from the exhibit between 5-5:30 p.m. Sunday,
May 28 or 8-9:30 a.m. Monday, May 29. Delivery of these items must be completed during the aforementioned times and date. If you can’t meet this schedule, your tree will not be exhibited in 2023. No exceptions.
- Selected trees MUST comply with the following criteria:
- Tree must be in good health.
- The pot must be cleaned and fully mossed, free of weeds.
- If there is wire, it should be unobtrusive and neat.
- A stand and the complementary item MUST accompany the tree, but there will be NO SCROLLS allowed.
- There can be no cut or damaged or dirty leaves.
- Pictures of all exhibit displays may be taken by a BSF volunteer in the exhibit room and digital copies, if photos are taken, will be made available to exhibitors.
Exhibitors can register for all exhibit critiques ($30 per critique). While the critique time is limited, preference will be given to critiques of exhibitors’ trees, if requested.
Kathrin Harris 2023 Exhibit Chair firstname.lastname@example.org